Who knew mashed potato and chocolate was such as delicious combination? While it may sound odd, don’t knock it ’til you try it. This Mashed Potato Chocolate Cake will definitely make you a believer!
Mashed Potato Chocolate Cake
Difficulty: Medium • 6 – 8 Servings• Total Time: 2 Hours 10 Minutes
- 1 large russet potato
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 cups cane sugar
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 small purple sweet potato
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a cake pan and set it aside. Peel the russet potato and cut it into large cubes. Place the cubes in a pot and cover with water. Place over medium high heat, bring to a boil, and cook until the potatoes are tender. Drain and mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Place 3/4 cup of the mashed potato in a medium bowl and gently mix it with the melted chocolate, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, cake flour and baking soda.
- To the bowl with the mashed potatoes, add the softened butter, eggs and buttermilk, whisk until combined. Add the potato mixture to the dry mixture, and mix until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into a pan and bake until a pick inserted comes out clean, about an hour.
- Let the cake cool in the pan until warm to the touch, and then remove it from the pan and let completely cool on a wire rack. Frost with purple potato frosting. Store in the fridge.
- Steam or bake the potato until it’s completely soft all the way through when pierced with a fork. When the potato has cooled slightly, mash it or press it through a sieve or potato ricer until smooth. Spread the mashed potato out on a piece of parchment paper to completely cool.
- Using an electric mixer or a stand mixer, blend together about 1/2 cup of the mashed potato, butter and powdered sugar. If the frosting is too thick, add 1-2 tablespoons of milk to loosen. Use the frosting for potato chocolate cake and keep stored in the fridge.