For all you kids and kids at heart, these 6 magically adorable animal macarons are the perfect treat for you. Scroll down for the recipe!
Cooking time: 2 hours
Serves: 12 sandwich cookies per batch
Skill level: Intermediate
- 200g powdered sugar
- 135g almond flour
- 120g egg white
- 80g white caster sugar
- food coloring
- vanilla buttercream
- Set your oven to 300*F.
- Whip your egg whites and white caster sugar to stiff glossy peaks.
- Sift the powdered sugar and almond flour into the egg white mixture and fold the dry ingredients in, until the consistency is glossy and smooth – and flows like lava.
- When adding the food coloring, slightly under-mix the batter and then stir in the color.
- Fill your piping bags and have fun piping your cookies!
- Allow the unbaked cookies to sit, uncovered, at room temperature for 45 minutes – 1 hour until the tops are no longer sticky and have formed “skins.”
- Bake for 20 minutes at 300*F, until the cookies have puffed and a “foot” has formed. Allow to cool before sandwiching with buttercream frosting.